Monday, March 22, 2010

16 weeks...


I've decided to start blogging again for a couple different reasons. One, Dave & I are expecting our first baby (we call the baby "Juicy" - it's a cross between Jack & Lucy - thanks, Holly! We love it!) this September and I'm excited to share this experience since we've never been thru it before! And two, I don't work or go to school right now so I have a lot of time on my hands. I'm hoping this helps with my cabin fever.


I am right at 16 weeks right now. I still haven't gained any weight. My last Dr's appt was March 5. My nurse commented about my weight, but my Dr did not so I'm gonna assume I'm still kosher. The first couple months I had a LOT of nausea, but no throwing up - thank you, Lord!! Being nauseous all the time I had zero appetite! Then I got sick with sinus stuff and a stomach virus, so I know that didn't help my weight! I still don't have much of an appetite. In the book I'm reading it says at anytime that will change and I'll want to eat, eat, eat! Still waiting for that change.


I am reading a book called The Pregnancy Book written by a Dr and his wife who was a nurse. They raised 8 children, one having Downs Syndrome, so I thought maybe they might know what they're talking about. I was planning to read the typical What to Expect When You're Expecting, but I read some awful things about it on Amazon! Mothers-to-be said it was very negative and very discouraging, saying it only focused on everything that could go wrong during a pregnancy! No thank you! So far I like this book even though sometimes it feels like I'm reading a text book! It's very informative and I'm sure I'll pass it on to any friends expecting their first one day.


I enjoy the book telling me stage by stage how our baby is developing. This is what is described at 16 weeks - "Baby doubles her length and nearly quadruples her weight." (I'm not using 'her' because I think it's a girl, that's just what the book uses.) "So by the end of the 16th week she may be around 5 inches long and weigh around 4 ounces. Her arms lengthen this month, so much so that she can now flex her arms, clasp her hands, and suck her thumb. Her legs lengthen too and kicking intensifies although you will probably not yet feel it. She begins to swallow. Her external ear folds are becoming more developed, as is her hearing, enabling her to react to sounds. Unique fingerprints develop. Eyelashes start to grow. By 16 weeks your little 'peach' is about the size of one."


Pretty cool, huh?? I still don't feel pregnant, but when I read stuff like this I kind of look at my belly and think, "WOW! All that's going on in there??"


For the most part I feel really good. Much better than I did a month or 2 ago! Yesterday and today I've been horribly sore! I'm not sure what that's about? It's like the achy feeling you get when you have the flu only I don't feel sick... So I'm at a loss! I hope it goes away soon!


I think that's all I'm gonna write for today. I probably won't update every day unless something comes up. But I will try to write week by week. My next Dr's appt is April 2 and Dave gets to go with me again! He only has to work a half day that day due to Good Friday. So far he's gotten to go to every appt we've had, which he loves! This next appt we have to decide if we want testing done to see if there could be any chromosomal problems with the baby. I wasn't planning on doing it, but Dave wants to and after talking to a few new moms I guess there's really no reason NOT to do it.


Bye for now! ~ Sara

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to blog during this time in your life. I'm sort of out of blogging but I'll look forward to your updates. It will be good to have pictures and a record of the months to come.
    Take care and I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete